R129 head light problems

1989 - Present: All SL, SLK and SLC models.
henryroso
Model you own: R129

R129 head light problems

Post by henryroso »

Hi Guys
I hope some one out there can point me in the right direction to solve my problem!
I have a 1990 300sl R129 model that I am currently restoring and am close to ready for a road worthy check.
However my head light switch decided to internally disintegrate. Not a big problem I thought, so I purchased a replacement through Adsit in the USA which duly arrived and was fitted. On checking the operation I found I had both front head lights (hi & lo) right side parking light and nothing else!
Rear lights, fog lights, left /right parkers do not operate, all fuses and globes have been checked.
Is there a relay(s) somewhere that could have been blown when the switch gave way?
:wall: :Doh:
henryroso

Re: R129 head light problems

Post by henryroso »

I feela bit like "redgear" with his posts! lots of people looking but no one saying anything :dontknow: :dontknow:
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: I own multiple different models

Post by CraigB »

Yep - problem is you don't know the answer and then it gets buried so good to raise it again (and politely is good too!) I don't know your car, so when busy can skip past it and I don't think there is a lot of activity with them on here or a direct expert I would point you too. Some members seem to have this incredible knowledge across the models so hopefully one pics it up.

But i will have a stab - I doubt there will be relays for a low current circuit like say the rear parkers. There are a lot of wires and pins in headlight switches right back to the 60's models, and combinations are used for different situations, like say L or R parkers like they use OS. When you ordered the part did they check it against your chassis number? I don't even know if they can do that like the do on some cars, even when not a dealer. Perhaps a call to MB spares might put you on the right track if you have the right part number. The US have different laws about lights, so could just be they have supplied you with a US switch. I really don't know but hopefully that gives you somewhere to go.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
henryroso

Post by henryroso »

Hi CraigB
Thanks for your reply, its really good to get some feedback.
Your thoughts on the US switch could be right on the ball! Unfortunately the old switch didn't have a part number on it so i had to rely on the US supplier giving me the right one. I also have had a lot difficulty obtaining parts with my VIN No, It appears to be a Asian import that doesn't register here. But I will keep on trying, so thanks again for your comments.

Cheers ....Henry
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

The short cut I would be looking for is someone with a known working switch that would even just lend it to you to see if it instantly fixes your problem without pulling lots of things apart. Maybe use the search function for 300 and then 500sl and see what comes up? Just looking for locals that have posted about their cars and then pm/email. I'm not sure if you need the 5 posts to be able to do that - you are 3 down now so if you respond with a thanks or two I will approve and you will be good to go.
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
CraigB
Mercedes Demigod

Post by CraigB »

Also there is always a chance that it is not unique to the sl and you can use something from a sedan etc? Have you tried googling the part number of the one you got to see if anything comes up to suggest they accidentally sent you the wrong one?
Craig Baulderstone
280s's
280SE3.5
280SL Ruby
300TE Otto
350SL Gloria
350SLC Lurch
450SEL Boris
500SEC's...including Syd
560SEL's Foufou and Zac
henryroso

Post by henryroso »

Hi CraigB.
Sorry....Bit slow with the reply, thank for your comments. Yes I have already picked up on that thought.
Will keep digging.......Henry :book:
John Green
Mercedes Demigod
Model you own: w112
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Post by John Green »

henryroso wrote:Hi CraigB.
Sorry....Bit slow with the reply, thank for your comments. Yes I have already picked up on that thought.
Will keep digging.......Henry :book:
Call us on Monday with your VIN number and the part number of the switch supplied, I will tell you if it was correct for your car. BTW, do the guys in the US request your VIN number before selling you the part?
Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

John Green, Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

http://mbspares.com.au - Supporting Australia's Mercedes-Benz Enthusiasts.